The National Irrigation Acceleration Platform (NIAP) hosted by the Water Research and Resource Centre (WARREC) based at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) in collaboration with by SNV Netherlands Smart Water for Agriculture (SWA) Programme, is hosting its first annual stakeholders workshop Themed “PARTNERSHIPS FOR SCALING UP SMART WATER SOLUTIONS FOR IRRIGATION: CONTRIBUTING TO THE BIG FOUR AGENDA FOR KENYA” on 6th December, 2018 at Hotel Intercontinental, Nairobi.
The workshop will convene irrigation stakeholders include: policy makers, financial institutions,technology and service providers, private sector, NGOs, CBOs, researchers, development partners and all who uphold irrigation in Kenya.The workshop objectives and expected outcomes include: Workshop Objectives:
1) Convene relevant actors and stakeholders in irrigation and to build partnership for scaling up smart water solutions for irrigation in Kenya,
2) Share knowledge on irrigation technologies and best practices for improving the efficiency, productivity and profitability of irrigated agriculture in Kenya, and
3) To deliberate on stakeholder actions, involvement and contribution towards attainment of the targets on irrigation as an enabler of the Big Four Agenda on Food and Nutrition Security.
Expected Outcomes from the Workshop
1) An understanding of the policy for irrigation with particular focus on the Big Four Agenda,
2) A better understanding of cutting edge technologies and best practices, which enhance irrigation productivity and profitability
3) An understanding of other enablers of irrigation in Kenya (financing, social-economic, input and output markets)
4) An understanding of the roles of sector actors and stakeholders and their contribution to the attainment of the Big Four Agenda on Food and Nutrition Security.