Agricultural transformation is critical to growing the economy, reducing the cost of food, alleviating poverty and delivering 100% food and nutrition security. Every Kenyan should have access to affordable and nutritious food.
Over 18 millioni Kenyans earn income from agriculture. The country’s economic growth therefore depends on enabling these people to achieve food and nutrition security, and contribute more fully to the economy.
While food and nutrition security is a national mandate, the counties must be at the center of its implementation. National and county and governments must work together to create a healthy population and an economy resilient to the risks that threaten the welfare and
livelihoods of many Kenyans and destabilize the economy through droughts, pests disease, and global price shocks. To transform Kenya’s agricultural sector and make it a regional powerhouse, the Government has formulated the Agricultural Sector Transformation and Growth Strategy (ASTGS). The Strategy is based on the belief that food security requires a vibrant, commercial and modern agricultural sector that supports Kenya’s economic development sustainably and its commitments to regional and global growth.
The ASTGS has three anchors to drive Kenya’s 10-year transformation. Specific target outcomes for the first five years follow:
1. Anchor 1: Increase small-scale farmer, pastoralist and fisherfolk incomes
– Raise average annual small-scale farmer incomes from KES 465/day to 625/day (~35% increase)ii. – Directly benefit ~3.3 million Kenyan farming households.
2. Anchor 2: Increase agricultural output and value add
– Expand agricultural GDP from KES 2.9 trillion to KES 3.9 trillion (6% CAGR).
– Increase the contribution of agro processing to GDP by KES 130 billion over five years (50% increase over KES 261 billion in 2018).
3. Anchor 3: Boost household food resilience
– Reduce the number of food-insecure Kenyans in the arid and semi-arid lands (ASAL) regions from an average 2.7 million to zero, while reducing the cost of food and improving nutrition.
– Protect households against environmental and fiscal shocks.
For more information here is the full document for you review: AGRICULTURAL-SECTOR-TRANSFORMATION-and-GROWTH-STRATEGY